What is Hypnotherapy?
The International Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association
defines Hypnosis as “...an education communication process to a person’s mind that allow his/her conscious and subconscious mind to receive the same message. The process produces an altered state of consciousness though physical and mental relaxation. The critical faculty of mind is bypassed and the subconscious openly receives the communication. At this time, the senses are in a state of heightened awareness. The mind will only accept that which goes along with the established morals and ethics. The person in a hypnotic state will respond only to suggestions with which he/she is in a agreement. Desire, belief and expectancy are necessary for this altered state to have effect in the outer behavior of the individual.”
International Medical Dental Hypnosis Association objectives.
The objectives are clear: To help create a sense of peace and harmony within the individual so that the current challenge can be dealt with in a positive manner, thus making the journey toward wellness and peace of mind less traumatic.
The objectives include the following:
1. Aid the physician by preparing the patient, thereby enhancing the healing process.
2. Aid the physician in bringing the patient to a sate of wellness.
3. Reinforce the physician’s “orders” and give suggestions for continued speedy recovery.
4. Aid the hospital or health care facility in the performance of their function to:
1. Meet the requirements of D.R.G. (Diagnostic Related Guide, codes used by hospitals for billing)
2. Reduce the amount of drugs the patient would normally require, especially in the control of pain.
5. Reduce the fear and anxiety associated with surgical procedures and catastrophic illness.
6. Assist the family in reducing their anxiety.
7. Teach the family members appropriate suggestions to reinforce the physician’s and hospital staff’s efforts on behalf of the patient.
8. Teach the patient how to use self-hypnosis after the hospital stay to control pain and aid in his/her healing process.
9. Help prepare the family for what they will feel as they wait for results of surgery, tests etc. as they see their beloved in ICU; and to dispel any negative feelings in order to create peace and harmony within themselves.
Master Sam Naples NLP hypnotherapy is a certified hypnotherapist (CHt.) from the IMDHA, though the
Personal Growth School of Hypnotherapy
in Mentor, Ohio.
Hypnotherapy is also included as a part of Neuro-Linguistic Programming. The founders of NLP
studied hypnotherapy with both
Dr. Dave Dobson
Dr. Milton H. Erickson
both also deceased.
The work of Dr. Dobson was called
Other than Conscious Communication TM, and No Fault Psychology and were taught in events know as Fun Shops. Dr. Dobson is the author of the amazing book
Dave’s soul mate and survivor the
Legendary Barbara Stepp
, has total control over all of Dave’s intellectual property and is one of Master Sam Naples' mentors. According to Barb one of the early NLP Seminars (before it even had a name) was held in Dave’s living room.
The other and more well know Hypnotist that had an affect upon NLP was Dr. Milton Erickson of Phoenix Arizona who was the founder of
The American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
were told of the work of Erickson by the famed Anthropologist
who made arrangements for the two to meet and observe Erickson. Based upon the study of Erickson the Reversed Meta Model or Milton Model of NLP was developed.
Dr. Bandler stated at an NLP Practitioner program that quite often when people went to meet Erickson they would end up in trance and remember very little of what went on in the meeting. To prevent this from happening Dr. Bandler stated that he went into trance before he met Erickson, frustrating Erickson’s attempts to hypnotize him.
Dr. Bandler stated to the author that if one wished to learn hypnosis the best book ever written was
Advanced Techniques of HYPNOSIS and THERAPY: Selected Papers of Milton H. Erickson, M.D. Edited by JAY HALEY.
Click here to leave the hypnotherapy page and return to the MasterSamNaples-NLP-Hypnotherapy homepage.